After working the Twelve steps of Alcoholics Anonymous we keep working the program in every aspect of our lives. The basic principals are simple and very rewarding. In the “Big book of Alcoholics Anonymous” page 83 are the “Twelve Promises” .
1. If we are painstaking about this phase of our development, we will be amazed before we are halfway through.
2. We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness.
3. We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it.
4. We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace.
5. No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we will see how our experience can benefit others.
6. That feeling of uselessness and self pity will disappear.
7. We will lose interest in selfish things and gain interest in our fellows.
8. Self-seeking will slip away.
9. Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change.
10. Fear of people and of economic insecurity will leave us.
11. We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us.
12. We will suddenly realize that God is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves.
Are these extravagant promises? We think not. They are being fulfilled among us-sometimes quickly, sometimes sloooooowly. They will always materialize if we work for them.
These promises have materialized in my life. After writing my story I can see how they have worked in my life and outlook. Many people have commented that I was an inspiration. I am not the inspiration, the basic principals of AA is! Without the program I would be a low life miserable unhappy drunk, more than likely dead by now. I love my life now and want to share my secrets and help those that need it!! I have gained self respect and can wake up (not come to) each morning with a clean conscience and look forward to a new day!
Life is goooood!!
Have a marvelous Friday and enjoy the Summer weekend!!