Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Chapter 47...What my life is like now.

I am at a good balance in my life right now. People in my town know that I am an alcoholic and have been sober for 17 years now. I have had numerous calls in the night from people that need my help. I never turn my back on anyone that reaches out for help!
AA’s Responsibility Declaration is: I am responsible. When anyone, anywhere, reaches out for help, I want the hand of AA always to be there. And for that: I am responsible.
I attend Alcoholics Anonymous regularly to help those that are struggling.
I have a great job, my family lives in the same town and we all love each other unconditionally. I have many friends from many different walks of life, I attend a great Church (Christ the King) and have a relationship with God now. My house is paid for (but not all my charge cards and my car). In five years I will be debt free I hope. Then I can start saving for the medications I’ll have to pay for when I retire. (bummer).

I am now working the 12 steps on my aging and health problems.
The first step is:
I admit I am powerless over (Aging & declining health), that my life had become unmanageable.

Okay, now let’s work on this. Yes I am powerless over aging, and my health had become unmanageable. Now that the shock is over, I can help myself by watching what I eat and try to exercise as much as I can. I know there are limitations, but that doesn’t mean I cannot exercise at all, it just means to do it at a slower pace and not over exert myself! Don’t look at the long term but look at it one day at a time. Accept the ailments and get off my pity pot! Look around and see others that are much worse off than I am and be thankful that the Good Lord gave me what I have! I mean really!! I have sore feet.....at least I have feet!!
Reach out to others that are not yet at this balance and try to help them through their hoops.
I am far from perfect and I certainly have my shortcomings. I try to make amends as I need to and get rid of resentments before they fester. When I am wrong I try to promptly admit it.
I pray nightly and say my thanks for the good life I have. I am so very lucky to live where I do and have the freedom I have. When I feel lonely or out of touch I pick up the phone and call a friend I have not seen in awhile. I have a list of names and numbers of gals that go to AA. If there is a new gal I make sure I introduce myself and make her feel welcome. I call her at odd times and let her know she is thought about. It is really important to make a person feel welcome when they come crawling through the doors of AA.Whew!
AMEN!!

No comments: