Sunday, September 26, 2004

Third Step Prayer


"God, I offer myself to Thee--to build with me and to do with me as Thou wilt.
Relieve me of the bondage of self, that I may better do Thy will.
Take away my difficulties,
that victory over them may bear witness to those I would help of Thy Power,
Thy Love, and Thy Way of life.
May I do Thy will always!"

In AA we work the twelve steps, and
The first step is admitting we are powerless over alcohol (or drugs or whatever),
The second step is Coming to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
The third step is "Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.

Sometimes you just have to pull the reigns and stop the path you are going and give it to God.
I have found myself getting on my pitty-pot a little too much lately and I don't like it!
I find myself worrying about my health, worrying about my job, worrying about my friends, worrying about my family, worrying about....well you get what I am trying to say. It is time for me to quit worrying and give it to God to worry about and get a good nights sleep. God is up all night so he can deal with it and give me what he thinks I can handle. I do like to give Him a suggestion once in awhile but tell Him I accept whatever He decides to give me. I am a very fortunate person that I got in the AA program when I did, and that it stuck with me. Some people struggle with the program and go back to drinking. AA is not for everyone, but it sure helped me through the rough times. I just had to search around to find the right group.
The Third step was the hardest for me because I have always been taught that I am responsible for everything I do. Now I am told to give the power to God and accept what He gives to you. I understand now, but it was hard for me to understand that concept. I still make decisions at work and in my life but now I accept the things I cannot change and have the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference!
AMEN

Thought for the day:
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than going to a garage makes you a mechanic



No comments: