Friday, April 02, 2004

Camping fun!

Txoceanlover said he doesn't like camping anymore because he had some bad experiences, and is too old!! Ha!!
The campgrounds are full of old people with their yapping Pomeranian fluffy doggies!!
The Monday before Memorial Day 1998 I was setting up camp and I heard a pop. I have a tent trailer, and the trailer was crooked. Someone said I broke a cable, so I found a 2x2 pole and used that to prop up the tailer. It worked!!
The next year again on the Monday before Memorial Day I drove up to the campsite alone. It was beginning to sprinkle. I was all alone in the entire campground. I was cranking up the trailer, and half way up I heard a series of pops and the whole thing collapsed!! So here I am 75 miles away from home and in the rain and cannot get into my trailer with all my supplies. I so love the solitude of relaxing in the campground all alone for two days before everyone else shows up. I sat down and started crying. Just then a ranger truck drove by and two young gals got out and asked if I needed help. I jumped with glee and said YES!! I had the mind to bring 4 2x2 poles in case I needed them for tarps or propping up one side of the trailer. We somehow (by the Grace of God) propped up the trailer and I camped out for 4 days like that! On the way home that Memorial Day I stopped by a trailer sales place and traded it in right there!! They had to have 4 people prop up and hold the roof up for me to clean out all my junk. They asked how in the heck I camped like that, and I told them the poles held it up. The guy said I was damned lucky it didn't collapse on me while I was sleeping. I have alot of guardian angels watching out for me that is for sure!!

The Labor Day weekend before that, I was again in that old camper and luckily heading to the campground on my Island here 15 miles away. I turned the corner and a car came zooming by and stopped me. They said they saw the crank from my trailer fall off a mile back. I thanked them profusely and took the trailer to the campground and headed back to retrieve the crank. It was getting dark, and I couldn't find it. I was exhausted and totally stressed out, so I headed home to shower and go to bed. The next morning I headed out looking for the crank again. I finally found it after an hour of walking the shoulder of the highway. I went to camp and set it up and enjoyed the rest of the weekend. I go camping alone, but friends show up and we all have a ball!!
It is usually raining and cold when I camp, and I have a great campfire going!! A friend of mine we call "tarpman" always sets up tarps and we sit around the campfire roasting marshmallows and talking and having a ball!! All of us sober!!
The best part of camping of course is the food and friends!! But then again I think the very best part is getting home and taking a long hot shower and wash the hair and crawl into clean sheets!!
I can't wait until Memorial Day weekend to go again!!
Yes, I am a glutton for punishment!! Life is an adventure, and every adventure brings good memories.
Does anyone else have some fun stories to share on camping?