Saturday, September 16, 2006

Mercy Me at the Puyallup Fair!

Seven of us gals from Church went to the Puyallup Fair to see the "Mercy Me" concert. They made the song "I can only Imagine" famous. They are great! We left my house at one pm and headed North to pick up a few other gals, then stopped at an espresso place for Latte's. The drive was great until we got to Everett, then it was 20 mph for the next 20 miles, then again close to Tacoma. I don't like being a road warrior, so to break the ice I snuck in the green teeth here to break the monotony of bumper to bumper traffic. Debbie caught on and put in her pink teeth. (We got them at the latte stand). I thought the other gals were gonna die!! It was so funny. One car drove by and one guy looked over at me then kinda smiled and shook his head. Everyone else were on their cell phones and not paying attention. Now that is scarey.
One guy saw Debbie, then sped up. We think he got mad or something. Then we got my big flashlight and were singing into it like a microphone and passing it back and forth to sing into. We are 60 to 35 year olds cracking ourselves up.
Seattle always brings a smile to me when I see the Space Needle. It looked pretty today with the blue sky behind it.
We got to the fair at 6:00 and ate some icky hamburgers and greasy onion rings, then found our seats. We had good seats. rows 9 & 10. There were 10,000 people there of all ages! There were two kids in front of me and when the band started playing they got on their seats and raised their hands like the rest of us. It was touching.
The music was fabulous, and the weather was perfect! A great time was had by all.
It was awesome to be in the midst of 10,000 Christians singing Praise to the Lord! Whew!
Cheryl here was up clapping her hands the entire concert. Well so was everyone!
OH!!! After the Concert, we walked around the Fair and I bought a big BBQ turkey leg (to take home for dinner tomorrow), then I saw a hat stand with really tacky hats. I was looking at them and saw a black fuzzy hat I kinda liked so I bought it. I then saw a sewing machine and asked what that was for, and the lady said it is to personalize the hats if I wanted to. I asked her how long she had her booth at the fair and she said 40 years or so. I asked her if she used to sell those tacky hillbilly hats. She smiled and said yeah. I asked her how much they sold for, and she told me probably about 1 or 2 dollars then. I handed her three dollars and told her when I was 15 years old I stole a hat from her. She laughed and said forget it. I told her to take the money anyway. I am an alcoholic, and we are supposed to make ammends whenever possible. Then I had to explain to my friends the story. When I was 15 Lorraine Palmer, Sue Norton and I went to the Puyallup Fair. We were buying the hillbilly hats, and the guy turned to get some money from someone else, and Lorraine grabbed my arm and said c'mon!! We started running with the hats, and the guys were chasing us and we ran into a barn with animals and ditched them! Well I can rest easy now, I paid my debt! HAHAHAHA I am so glad I don't have kids!
We walked around the fair some more and ran into that woman again and she yelled over at us "I am STILL laughing at this"!!
We left the Fair about 10:30 and got home about 1:00am. Whew! Am I tired.