Monday, May 15, 2006

Monday Night

Whew, I had a close call tonight. I had to go to a meeting in a lady's house about the beautification of a small town around here and they wanted our input from transit about our bus stops.
The lady was a sweet little thing from England. My boss and I sat down at her dining room table then PLOP, right in front of my face, not 6 inches from my nose she was pouring a big glass of white wine!! I started to push it away and say no, but she pushed it right back and poured. The whiff hit my nostrils and my mouth started salivating! The little devil on my shoulder yelled "TAKE IT!!" the little angel jumped off my other shoulder and punched out the devil and pushed the wine glass away, then lay against it wiping his eyebrows! I said nicely, NO, I can't drink wine, I'm driving. She then asked if I wanted anything else, but I said no. there were two other ladies besides my boss and I, and they all sipped on their wine goblets for an hour! And they weren't even full!! GEEZE, at least fill the danged glass FULL!!
They would take a sip and then chatter and talk, then eat a cookie, then pick up the glass and put it to their mouth then stop and talk some more then put the wine up to their mouths again and talk. Then maybe, just maybe take a little sip to wet their lips and then put the glass down.
All during this time I wasn't hearing a danged thing they were talking about. There was a dialogue going on in my head. I just wanted to yell at the top of my lungs, "WILL YA DRINK THE DAMNED WINE AND QUIT TEASING YOURSELVES!!?? Then I wanted to grab a goblet and gulp it down and say "Here, like this"! Then grab the other goblets and drink them, then sit down and belch. Then continue on the conversation like nothing happened. But instead I just sat there and agreed with them and offered my side and listened to my boss and nibbled on a cookie then smile and nod again.
Whew! There are times like this that are really close calls. In 36 days I will have 19 continuous years of sobriety. Yikes, that seems a lifetime ago, but it is a daily struggle. Many many days go by that I don't think about it, but then there are days that I would just love to drink a really strong glass of schnapps or something to take away the tight knots in my shoulders and back.
I just got out of a hot bath and it relaxed me a bit. I need a two week vacation, that is for sure!
Maybe in a month or so.
G'nite all!

"The problem with the designated driver program, it's not a desirable job, but if you ever get sucked into doing it, have fun with it. At the end of the night, drop them off at the wrong house." --Jeff Foxworthy