Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Chapter 27 1984-85

I was looking for work and a person I knew owned a Lady’s clothing store that specialized in Maternity and Large Women’s clothing. She hired me to manage her store. She was a petite person and I am a large woman. It made more sense for me to work there and assist women in their choices. Connie was a drunk worse than me. She kept vodka in her desk and drank during the day when she was there. I went to Seattle with her on a buying trip for clothing, and we stayed at the Edgewater Inn on the water. That is the hotel the Beatles stayed when they were in Seattle in the 60’s. Connie and I were walking down the street and she saw some guys and she smiled and winked and rolled her tongue around her lips at them. I was appalled, because they turned and started following us!! We ditched them, and we had a big fight over that. I worked for her for about 6 months, and was bored stiff! She wanted me to buy the store from her and I refused to. In February 1984 the old restaurant that I used to work at in the 60’s was looking for a bartender, so I applied and got the job. I was working the night shift there. The bar was built under the restaurant on pilings that went over the water. Huge picture windows surrounded the room. It had a great view. There was a fireplace, a piano and about 8 tables and a tiny dance floor. The bar seated about 10. Most of the time I worked the place alone and again made great tips. The restaurant would close upstairs and the cook would send me down a two inch thick prime rib sandwich, (which I would take home and fry) and I would send him up a scotch and water the size of Texas!! We had a fun crew that worked there. We were all drunks. Once the cooked grabbed my hand and forced it under his apron and plopped a cold raw turkey neck in my hand!!! Well it felt like a real “thingy”!! He chased all us gals around the kitchen with his turkey neck laughing his fool head off as we ran squeeling!! That night he asked for a scotch and water and I sent him up one doused with Tabasco!! Once I came on shift and the day bartender had stuffed paper in all the pour spouts!! We were always playing jokes on each other!!
On April 19th I quit smoking. I had a horrendous hangover and a head cold. I would gag every time I tried to light up a cigarette, so decided to see how long I could go without smoking. Nobody figured I would quit because I smoked 3 to 4 packs a day. Well I showed them!! I quit cold turkey and never picked up another cigarette since!
I was working one night and a guy came in and was drunk and talking with big words. He was telling me about a flight he took and he had nocturnal emissions while he slept on the plane! I thought he was so weird that I called my sister and told her she just had to meet this guy!! Well the rest is history!! It was Bob, and Mary Lou has been seeing him ever since!!
A gay guy owned the place and his son was running the place. Van lived in California and would come in town about 3 times a year. He would never tell us he was coming up, but I usually knew because his Friends would all show up and play at the piano bar. One night after closing I was alone in the bar counting the money, and heard a noise in the hall. I thought it was one of the bikers that I had kicked out earlier. I yelled out “who is there”, and no one answered. I yelled again and no answer, but I heard footsteps. I grabbed my gun and had it aimed at the hall and in walked Van!! I was FURIOUS!!! He laughed and told me I could hurt someone with that!! I said “NO SHIT!!! Next time tell me you are coming into town and let me know if you are walking into the place after closing!!” He agreed.
On Monday nights the Volunteer Fire Department had their drills and after the drills the squad would come down to the bar and drink pitchers of beer. Once in awhile they would be paged out on a call and leave their beers on the table. When they returned I would give them a fresh pitcher on the house. They were fun and crazy guys!!
I advertised a Halloween Party for Halloween night. All sorts of people in unique costumes showed up. The place was packed!! One guy came as a flasher and had a kielbasa hanging out his jeans!! It was disgusting. The most disgusting part was when I was cleaning up after closing and found the half eaten kielbasa lying on the fireplace!! EEEYYYUUUUU!! Fun was had by all.
I don’t know why I wasn’t stopped by a cop or killed someone in those days. I would drive home drunk all the time!!!
The bar closed in February 1985. I got a job bartending at the restaurant by the ferry that I used to manage. Larry and I moved to Coupeville on the Prairie in December 1985. The place had a barn that was burned down in October by an arsonist. I was bartending one night and said I would join the Fire department so I would know what to do in case of another fire. I was joking, but a guy (I believe it was Bob) laughed at me. He said “YOU??? HAHAHAHA!!” Well That did it!! I joined the following Monday!!

Next segment…The Volunteer Fire Department!

No comments: