Sunday, July 04, 2004

Chapter 25 1980

I got a 1978 powder blue Ford Futura to replace the totaled Pinto! I liked that car a lot more than the Pinto. 1980 rolled in and I was happy with my job. I was back home with family and friends and Larry didn’t have quite the rule on me that he had while we were in CT. My 31st birthday was Feb 4, and of course I celebrated after work. I had a few drinks at the Deli, then I went up to the Legion for my “Birthday” scotch. Larry was at the college and made no plans to take me out anywhere, so I was on my own. I walked into the Legion and the bartender gave me a PITCHER of scotch and water!! That alone would put a logger under the table, but people kept buying me scotch and waters and pouring them into the pitcher. The bartender and I had been flirting with each other for months. That night when I got so drunk he decided to take me home. Instead of home he drove down to the beach and started to put the make on me. I passed out cold!! I came “to” while in Sambo’s restaurant drinking coffee. I was a mess!! I had peed my pants and my makeup was all over my face. He didn’t get far at all!! I convinced him to take me home. The next morning I felt horrible that I went to the beach with that guy, and confessed to my husband what happened. I told Larry I needed to move out because I was disloyal and needed to get my head together. He said he wouldn’t let me, and I was just going through a phase, and it will pass. I couldn’t believe he was so calm about that!! I stopped going to the Legion after that and stayed closer to home.
In 1981 Larry got a job at the Sheriff’s office as a Dispatcher. He really wanted to be a deputy, but settled for Dispatcher. He later transferred to Jailer. He still works at the Sheriff’s department in the records department. He worked odd shifts, his favorite being midnight to 8am. That was my favorite too, because I could go out after work and run home to bed before he got home!
One night I was home and Larry was sitting at the bar at the Deli. A woman came in and flirted with him and they got to talking, and they realized they were married to each other for two years!! She was his second wife (I was number 4). They both changed a lot, and she was so drunk she didn’t realize it was him!! Dang, I missed that!!
He was working at the Sheriff’s office one night and I was drinking at the Deli and she came in. I introduced myself and we sat there and got drunk together. We went to my house to compare notes and talk about Larry. She wouldn’t leave, so I told her I was going to bed and she can sleep on the couch or go on home. I woke up at 8:30 when Larry came home and was heading to bed. He sat on the edge of the bed and there she was sleeping on his side of the bed!!! He jumped up which woke me up!! Thank God she was dressed, or I don’t know what he would think!! But could you imagine what went through his head when he came home and found his wife and his second ex wife in bed together??!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA oh, gosh!!
There are way too many incidents to log in this story, but you can get the gist. I was a drunk and worked as a bartender and loved it! The Deli sold an in 1982 to a Mexican food restaurant. I moved to a new restaurant that was opening and set that bar up and was the first bar manager there. I took most of my friends with me. I lasted 5 months there and a guy that owned a restaurant in Coupeville asked me if I would go to work for him. He was up here from Tempe Arizona because the managers of his restaurant were crooked and took off with his money. He had the place up for sale and needed someone to keep the place open until he sold it. I agreed to manage the restaurant for $1,000.00 a month and anything I could drink for free. Hehehehe well he knew me!! It was quite an experience. I have never done the whole management scene, but it was a slow time of year and I more or less taught myself as I went. The crew asked when payday was, and I had no idea. I called Wally and he said to just give everyone paid outs from the register until he came back up in a month. I looked in the office and saw the paper work for payroll, and talked with Wally on the phone and figured out how to make payroll and paid everyone. So now I was a bookkeeper.

Boy, will I be glad when I finish this story!! I'm sorry I even started it!! oh well I'm in too far now.
Tomorrow, The rest of Papillion's. (Thje name of the restaurant).

No comments: