Sunday, June 20, 2004

Love letter to my Dad!

September 23, 1994

Dear Daddy,

Tomorrow you are being taken to Careage of Whidbey because you have a broken hip. It will only be for two weeks. I know how frightened you are, but please be reassured that we are not putting you away in an old folks home!! I love you too much to do that.

All my life you have been my hero. Ever since I was a baby I had to sleep with your boon-dockers for re-assurance that you were near. Mom said you even had to come home to feed me.

I was so afraid that you would come home from the Ranger Cruise and divorce mom. I prayed that if that happened that I would go with you.

When I started dating I was so afraid that you wouldn’t like my boyfriends.

When I married Larry, I thought I found someone to fill your shoes. He seemed to be a lot like you, but not really. He didn’t do the handy things around the house that you were so good at. After 13 years of marriage I realized it was no good.

You were such a good husband for mom. You sat back and let her do her thing, and waited for her to settle down. I’ve never seen anyone take their marriage vows so seriously. You haven’t even taken off the wedding band. You must have really loved her. I hope she knew how gifted she was to have found you. I’m sure glad she did.

All three of us kids love you very much. Do you realize how lucky you are to have three kids love you? I wish I had at least one!!

When I was pregnant and in Virginia I was so lonesome for home, and when you called me and asked me to come home, my heart burst. You and mom were right by my side through the whole still-born thing. Dad, I’m so sorry I put you through all of that!! I started drinking really hard after that, and I was totally out of control. I know now I must have put you through Hell. I’m so sorry for all of that. Please forgive me. I’ve been sober for 7 years and three months now, and realize that my life was a mess before. I’m trying my best to live a normal life now. Thank you so much for being my dad. I don’t know what I would do without you here.

It breaks my heart to see you laid up with a broken hip. Dad; Mary Lou, Mike and I are right by you to get you through this. Things will work out. I want you to get better, so we can go to Alaska and explore. You have a lot more years ahead of you if you follow doctor’s orders.

Please know we are with you through all of this.

I love you dearly!! Phyllis


I wrote this letter to my father when he was in the hospital with a hip replacement surgery. Mom died in January 1993. They were married for almost 50 years. We didn't show much love or hugs growing up, but we did love each other. I felt the need to tell him how much he meant to me! He died November 7th 1996.
I Miss you terribly dad, and love you with all my heart!!
Thank you for all you did for me!!

No comments: