Friday, January 30, 2004

Legend of the O.R.

Has anyone had a colonoscopy? I was conversing with a friend that was ready to go get one done and was a little nervous. Oh, I know the embarrassment of a colonoscopy!! I came down with Diverticulitis a few years back. (pockets in the colon that gets infected). My doctor sent me to Dr Zaveruha to get a colonoscopy done. (in the operating room they stick a hose up through your rectom with a tiny camera attached to the end to see what is going on in the pooper). Well Doc "Z" is a friend of mine and was my boss when I worked on the ambulance.
I was soooo embarrassed to go through that. Well it was October....I always try to find humor in everything...I went to the operating room, and the nurses were prepping me before doc Z came in to do the procedure. I had a pair of wax lips with fangs (Halloween)...I told the nurses I was going to pull a joke on doc Z....Well yes I did. I put them in the crack of my butt! Doc Z came in and was so nice. He held my hand and very seriously told me not to be embarrassed or uncomfortable. The drugs will make me forget everything. He then pulled up the sheet and the entire room went dead silent!! Then I heard this "OH MY GOD!!!" He almost had to leave the room! Later, he came in to show me the results. He took pictures of the inside of me that showed all the infected pockets. Then he showed me the last picture. My butt with the wax lips!!! He said "oh by the way, those are copies"!!! That was about 6 years ago, and to this day I am a legend in the OR!!