Sunday, January 18, 2004

Florence

I live in a mobile home court, and about 14 years ago I got new neighbors. Florence and Gerry. They were in their late 70's then.
Gerry died about 11 years ago. Florence and I have become very close. She is now 87 years old and stilll lives alone. She is like a mother to me and I am included in their family get-to-gethers. She has two daughters and a son that live in Oregon, and one daughter here in Coupeville. She is very close to her entire family. We check on each other daily and we call each other when something exciting happens. I called her a few years ago at midnight when I saw the Northern lights dancing across the sky. We were both in our robes hugging each other in the frigid night. She cried and said she has never seen them before, so we hopped in my car and drove up the Prairie to get a better view.
We went for a drive once and saw an albino deer by the side of the road. We stopped to take pictures. On that drive I pointed out an Eagles nest that has been in a tree for about 25 years that I know of. When there is a storm at times we drive down to the beach to watch the waves.
Last July 5th I got a phone call and Florence was whispering in the phone telling me to quick look out my back window! I went to the window and there on Florence's front porch railing was a Great Blue Heron!! There are alot of Blue Herons in this area but I have never seen one so close and on a porch railing!! I took pictures. He was on her porch for about 2 hours.



Last night I came home from my meeting and Florence had left a message on my phone all excited that the Heron was back but this time just across the back fence in the field about 10 yards from our houses. I didn't get to see it, but hearing her voice all excited I could imagine it. It is such a good feeling having someone you love like a family member living next door.