Wednesday, June 23, 2010

STEP FOUR -- A SEARCHING AND FEARLESS MORAL INVENTORY (Cont.)

STEP FOUR -- A SEARCHING AND FEARLESS MORAL INVENTORY (Cont.)

1. What is a character defect?

2. Are you aware that character defects are acquired? How?

3. Why do you need to make a searching and fearless moral inventory?

4. How did Steps One, Two and Three prepare you for Step Four?

5. Make a list of the acquired character defects that you are aware of at this point.

6. In each section that follows, you must be completely honest or you're wasting your time. This is your searching and fearless moral inventory. Under each question, attempt to start with specific things you have done and said. List as many things under each question as will help you to convince yourself that you have acquired this defect. The answers to these questions are to be brief.

For example:

The response to question # 1 under RESENTMENT, ANGER, PREJUDICE AND MURDER might be:

With whom am I angry?

a) my wife -- she doesn't do the things I want her to do.

b) my boss -- he is not paying me enough.

c) Joe -- a friend to whom I loaned money and didn't pay me back. Remember, you are after the acquired defects. The more THOR¬OUGH you are in digging out these defects, the more program will be built on bedrock instead of sand. Go after your enemy -- the false self.

(Note: Go through the following pages and then return to #7.)

7. Now make a list of any additional acquired defects of character that did not appear in question # 6. Using this list, detail how, when and in just what instances these defects controlled your life.


8. Compile a list of all the people, institutions or principles that you have a resentment against.

9. How do you feel, right now, about the uncovering and discovering of these acquired defects?

10. Do you feel that you have done a thorough and honest search for these defects?

11. Now write a summary of how you picture yourself. Include both your positive points (assets) and the negative points (liabilities).



SELF-CENTEREDNESS
SELF-CENTEREDNESS: PUTTING YOURSELF FIRST -- THINKING THAT EVERYTHING HAS TO SUIT YOU –
FEELING THAT YOU'RE THE MOST IMPORTANT ONE IN THE WORLD.

1. Do I act as if the world revolved around my welfare and desires? How?

2. As a parent, do I use my family to suit my needs and desires? How?

3. What are some ways that I put myself before my spouse and children? Before friends?

4. Do I spend money for myself and put off buying things the family needs or desires?

5. Do I insist on doing things I like to do, or am I willing to do things others enjoy?

6. Do I buy things for others in order to win their affection?

7. Do I do things with my family or others to keep myself in the lime¬light?

8. If someone doesn't make a fuss over me, are my feelings easily hurt?

9. If others don't give me special attention in a group, do I feel snubbed?

10. How have I used my friends for my advantage or my satisfaction?

11. Do I honestly believe God is the center of all life, all people and all things?

12. Or do I think and act as if I were the center of life, the center of all people and things?

13. Do I expect God to cater to my desires?

14. Do I play God?


15. Do I try to excuse my failures by saying: "I can't help it"?

16. Do I expect God to lower His perfect standards because I don't meet those standards?

17. Do I truly admit I need God's power to carry me through this day?

18. Am I still willing to let God run my life?

19. Who or what is most important to me?

20. Do I realize that God must be most important to me?

21. Am I self-centered? Or do I honestly want God to be first in my life?

22. Am I self-centered? Or do I put others before myself?

23. What am I going to do with my self-centeredness?

24. How will I find strength and support so I won't be self-centered?

No comments: