Sunday, January 21, 2007

Boy, am I lucky!!

I was going to bed early tonight because I have not been feeling well (allergies) and I went to the memorial today for my friend Dee. I am bushed. I took a hot shower and washed my hair then I talked with a few friends on the phone and was heading to bed. I decided at the last minute to get on my computer and look up a few things and I heard a snap sizzle type sound, then a bzzzzzzing. I shrugged my shoulders and thought it was just the hot water heater element getting ready to go out. (they do that alot here with our hard water). I heard it again and thought I will have to call Sears tomorrow and order a hot water heater. I then smelled something funny and went to the closet where the hot water heater is stored (stupid place)and pulled off the panel and flames were shooting up the side of the heater!! YIKES I thought, OH CRAP I said, Call 911!! So I ran into the kitchen to get the phone (There was a phone in the room I was in). I called 911 but I didn't push the talk button DOH! My mind then said go get the fire extinguisher, Phyllis....you were a firefighter for 15 years you dodo!! OH, Yeah!! So I put the fire out, then turned off the breaker switch to the heater then pushed the talk button on my phone and called 911. Smoke was filled in my room, and the dispatcher came on and calmly asked me all sorts of questions, and I was answering them, and I finally yelled GET THE FIRE DEPARTMENT HERE NOW!!
She said ok and I hung up. They got here within 5 minutes. The cops and fire department all know me so they came a running!

Needless to say, I don't think I will get much sleep tonight with all the adrenaline pumping through my body. I sure thank the Lord for making me go back to get on my computer before going to bed, otherwise my house would be gone by now!
Thank you Lord, Thank you!!
WHEW!

However good or bad a situation is, it will change.