Sunday, February 20, 2005

Living My Life Sober And Working The 12 AA Steps Daily

Today I did something that was kind of hard and awkward, I made an ammends to someone that I did something to 40 years ago!
I have been sober for 17 years, (18 June 21). Part of staying sober is "working the 12 steps of Alcoholics Anonymous". I saw an old friend from school at Church last week and asked her what kind of perfume she was wearing. She told me, Ralph by Ralph Lauren.
I bought a bottle of it then wrote her this letter and presented it to her today at Church.

Hi,

This is awkward to write, so please have patience with me.
To make a long story short,
40 years ago I was a 15 year old girl when I moved to Coupeville High School after being kicked out of Oak Harbor High School for stealing. I didn’t know anyone at the new school and was rather lonely. I hung around the “rowdy” kids and had a bad reputation.
I stole a few things and then decided it was not a good thing to do so I straightened up in the summer of my Sophomore/Junior year.
I graduated and worked as a waitress, then traveled around. I got pregnant at the age of 20 and had a stillborn. I continued working in bars and drank quite a lot! I got married in 1974 and we moved around and I continued drinking and working bars.
We moved back home and I continued working bars and drinking.
I sobered up in June 1987, left my husband in July 1987, and got my job at Island Transit in November 1987. Quite the year! During my sobering up period I attended Alcoholics Anonymous (which I still attend). Part of growing and sobering in AA is working the 12 steps.
Step 1 We admitted we were powerless over alcohol-that our lives had become unmanageable.
Step 2 Came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
Step 3 Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.
Step 4 Made a searching and fearless inventory of ourselves.
Step 5 Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
Step 6 Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
Step 7 Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.
Step 8 Made a list of all persons we harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all. (sigh, this is where you come into the picture).

I stole some perfume from your purse in 1965. I had no idea why I did it or even whose purse it was, but I did it. I remember Gary yelling in the hall that I stole your perfume! I was mortified that anyone even thought I did it! I cannot remember what kind it was, but I think that is the last time I stole something from anyone!
I ask your forgiveness.

Step 9 Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.

So please accept this bottle of perfume from me as an amends!!

~Phyllis ~


She read the note then looked at me and said "I had no idea"! We both hugged and cried. She tried to give the perfume back to me but I would not accept it!

I feel so good now after giving her that note and perfume, I want to go get drunk!!

JUST KIDDING!!! HAHAHAHA

But that is a very important part of staying sober. Making ammends and forgiving.
I just had to share this with all my friends here!
LIFE IS GOOD!!

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables,
then what is baby oil made from?

No comments: