Saturday, December 16, 2006

Whoaaa! That was fun!!

Well Mary Lou and I survived the big storm! It blew in around 7:00pm Thursday night and it shook the house alot. The wind was coming in from the South. I went to bed around midnight, and it started to shift directions. My bedroom is on the west side of the house and faces the prairie. When the wind shifted, it came down Admiralty Inlet right at me!! The entire house was shaking, and my bed was even shaking. I heard there were gusts clocked up to 80 mph or higher. It felt like an earthquake tremble. I managed to get to sleep around 1:30am then the power went out. How did I know the power went out? I sleep with a CPAP machine for sleep apnea. I woke up gasping for air. I plugged it into the backup power booster and went back to sleep. I went to work at 8:00 and of course there was no power anywhere. I decided to go to Oak Harbor (via west beach to see the waves). I needed to ensure there will be a fuel truck to come to the Transit to fuel the buses at 8:00pm. I came across one reason the power was off, this tree hanging and bouncing on the power lines.

I drove through that, then went to West Beach. I drove into the little cul-de-sac and took these pictures.
You can see the surf boiling in on us.
As I was taking these pictures a gal walked up to me asking questions. She was from Chennel 4 news. Yep...I made the news! Go figure, no makeup, wearing a flannel shirt, hair sticking out and looking my worst! You know you're a redneck if you see your sister on the evening news talking about the "big storm"! HAHAHAHAHAHA Well we couldn't see the news 'cause we have no power! good.
I drove down to sunset beach where there are expensive houses on the beach. Well I'm sure they had quite a night last night!!
They closed the road because of waves and debris on the road, but of course I'm one of those idiots that just had to see why they closed the road!! I knew the water was gone so I drove atound the logs.
I stopped and aske this guy if he was in the house during the storm, and he said yes. I asked if he was scared, and he said yes. DUH! Look at his driveway! Those logs came from the other side of his house, so you know the water was sorrounding his house! That would be very scarey!!
Here is a view from the side of his house.
This is looking down the road to wards the houses.

Ok, I guess I don't envy the rich folks living on the beach any more!! Nope!!

Well I have things to do!! Later, folks.