Thursday, March 05, 2009

I'm still around.....

My days are just so busy that I have no time to relax and sit at the computer. After work I go visit with Mike and then come home and sleep. Not every day but most of them.
I was with him Tuesday night and he wanted a cookie. The doctor sat at his bedside and held his hand while I held his other hand and she told him that he cannot have any solid foods at all.
Ever.
He goes into excrutiating pain and they have nothing else to give him. I asked if he could have morphine and she looked at me and told me he is on a fentenal which is 80% more potent than morphine. Yikes, I had no idea. I thought he was talking funny and was a bit melodramatic, but now I know it is because he is STONED!!
She said his pump was set at 7 when he was admitted to the Hospice, and it is now set at 28. It only goes up to 30! So he is at the top of pain control.
I drove home feeling so bad for him.
I came back last night and gave them a First Aid/CPR class for the staff there and asked the doctor if Mike got any nutrition today. She looked rather sheepish and said "well...he came in the kitchen this morning and wanted pancakes. I hesitated then he said to make some french toast. So I gave him a pieace of french toast".
I said WHAT?! I fretted all night and you gave in and gave him some french toast? Good on ya!! He did have some discomfort after that, but not much, so we will see how it goes.
They let Mike have a party at the house on Friday Feb 13th. Members of the bands he played in all came and jammed with Mike. He was on top of the world!!
Here are some pictures of it.




Enjoy your friends while you have them folks.
Write a gratitude list of anything you can think of. Look around...you'd be surprised how long that list can get!
I am thankful for my brother. Every minute I have with him.

15 comments:

Unknown said...

It's hard to believe how much a man can endure. He must be as strong as a bear. I hope the doctors find a way to keep the pain under control. My goodness what a long road to go.

Brenda said...

God Bless you and your family Miz Phyllis. (((hugs)))

Anonymous said...

I hope he gets that cookie. How sad when a dying man can't have a cookie!

I agree with Herman, your brother is a strong man. And I know this is so hard on all of you. God bless.

Sally said...

Aw, Phyl, thanks so much for sharing the pictures with us.

Mike and all of you are in my constant prayers.

Mercy and peace, love and acceptance.

((((HUGS FOR ALL)))

Phyllis said...

Yes, these past few months have been torture! But I see that God's plan is the best plan and He is working in all of our lives!!

Donna said...

Bless your hearts Phyllis...sending much love to you all!hughugs

Dick said...

You are all still in my prayers

Kathy said...

My heart hurts reading about your brother.

A large enough dose of morphine should do it. Sometimes different medications work better or differently for different people.

Hugs to you and Mary Lou, and your family is in my prayers. I'm so sorry Mike is having such a hard time.

Anji said...

Thank you for sharing with us. When my dad was dying I couldn't be there so my sister told me everything. It helped me and it helped her even more. It's lovely that all of his musician friends came to jam with him.

Love to you all

Bobbie said...

What truly wonderful friends Mike has to have that party for him. Thanks for sharing the pictures.
It breaks my heart to read what he is going through. Keeping Mike and your whole family in my thoughts and prayers.

Holly said...

Times like this make us aware of what is really important. Your brother is truly an amazing person.

Sally said...

I rec'd a 'caringbridge email update' today, but the site has me blocked for some reason so I couldn't log in. ((HUGS))

Brent said...

What with the ordeal with my mom...well, it seems we all realize how fragile life is.

Anji said...

Hugs

Susan said...

Thanks for posting these photos. I am so happy to see Mike able to enjoy the company of these good friends doing something he loves. I have a huge lunp in my throat looking at them!
My thoughts are with you all.